Friday, March 26, 2010

Politics and Jesus











Random thoughts here...




I've seen a variety of responses via facebook and twitter over the recent healthcare craziness. Some claiming it's a sign of the end-times, others claiming we should just stop being upset and be kind and loving as Christians and still others encouraging people to vote this year and in 2012 to oust the dictators from office. Pfew! What a peanut gallery to sort through!
Sorry to say I don't have "the answer" on how to respond but I think there are a few important ideas here to consider...1) Jesus will be here eventually whether sooner or later so keeping that in mind is always important 2) Love is not displayed in niceties but in compassion, truth, forgiveness, patience, kindness, etc. So by my estimation there is nothing wrong with honestly saying that this bill is unconstitutional, full of things nobody has yet to lay eyes on and could easily bankrupt our country. Those are three things that are cause for great concern and affect EVERY American young or old, rich, poor, etc.

I think it's important to be good stewards of this gift we have in freedom. To not squander the efforts of those who have gone before us to insure we have these freedoms. That, I think, is godly and full of character and integrity.

Maybe it's more in the delivery and the process than in the disagreement. So, I am exercising my current freedom, as an American and a Christian, to say that this bill is the worst in my lifetime to date and the administration who put it in place is failing miserably at representing the majority of the American population. It's sad and sometimes frightening. Still, I can only do my part and trust God for the rest....and so can you.

Let's be faithful with this gift of freedom and honorable to all those who gave it to us as well as the one who holds it all in His hands and sees tomorrow. It's our right...and our responsibility.

Many men, women...fathers...mothers...daughters and sons have sacrificed. Grandparents have lost grandchildren and children. Children have lost parents. It's our job to be sure their loss and their gift wasn't for nothing. To honorably serve, to look also to the needs of others and not just to our own needs. To speak the truth, in love. These are all godly things & to sit idly by would be a grave mistake. It is my hope that in the wake of this, America will still be the land of the free and the home of the brave. Of course whether that rings true is fully up to us.

2 comments:

Sara Kay said...

As someone who has spent the majority if my life uninsured - as a child it was because of my dad being self employed, I am 100% with you. Not only is this a misuse of our freedom, it is likely to take away our freedom to choose the best kind of healthcare for our families. I can easily see anything alternative medicine related becoming strictly controlled because it doesn't contribute to the drug companies so tied up in the FDA. I only hope it's torn to shreds in the next year by whatever means necessary.

Thea said...

Sara - I hope so too. When I was young we had no health insurance either..when Eric was laid off we had nothing. I would rather have it that way and while I understand supporters would argue that I'd be weighing on the system if there were an emergency since everyone would have to fit the bill I beg to differ. As a responsible American I'd do what any other responsible person would do - put other financial projects on the backburner, save, work harder and longer and pay that bad boy off.