Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Open letter to Mr. Camping

Dear Mr. Camping,

When I first started seeing billboards and hearing of your May 21 prediction I was surprised. Not only that someone would openly predict and publicize the rapture but also that someone with such influence who has spent many years studying the Bible would assume such a position. I was annoyed...wondering who you thought you were in light of the fact that the Bible openly states that Jesus does not know the date or hour...did you think the Father would reveal this to you and that somehow, Jesus had missed this in his study of the scriptures while on the earth? I was, and am, fearful for you...I wonder what it will be like to give an account to the Lord on the true judgment day, for your misleading of many. Assuming to be a self-appointed preacher, teacher and prophet. How does one give account for the dashed hopes and faith which was placed into a prediction and self-preservation instead of Jesus? While I still am baffled that you continue to change your dates and adjust your theories instead of humbly bowing out of the prediction game, I am concerned for you. I wonder what the heart of God is toward you considering the many who are bewildered, confused and angry that they have put their hope in May 21, stopped paying bills, camped out far away from society waiting only to be left behind...but not by Jesus. They were left behind by you, by your prediction and by your obvious lack of compassion. They were left behind by society and some by their families. Now they have the dubious task of putting their lives back together and deciding what Christianity is really about...and whether it is worth their time to explore it further.

In spite of all this, Jesus loves you and welcomes you with open arms and no regard for your sin because his intent is to forgive it. You see, the rapture and judgment day are not about doom and gloom and the death of many. They are about life, hope, justice and the true King setting things straight. I believe he will return for me and the rest of his church...but not so that we can escape his terrible judgment of many...he will come back for me because he loves me. When he does, he will set things right and take his rightful place as King. Until then, I want to learn to live in faith...because he is already King. The fact that others don't recognize this or live their lives in response doesn't alter its truth. The fact that he delays his return is proof of his great compassion...because it is his will that none should perish.

It is my prayer and my great hope that you will wield whatever influence you still have to guide people not to any certain date and that you would use your energy on this earth not for your own preservation or to understand the dates you have calculated out based on Biblical events and your personal interpretation of our western translation of scripture...but that you would point people to Jesus. What a perfect love story...you made a poor choice, misled many...but he still loves you and not any less than he did years ago. That, is a true testimony.

I for one, am grateful...many of my poor choices could have been publicized, but they were not. I have sinned and made poor choices at the expense of others...and it has cost me and them. You and I are similar in that way...and believing the grace of God is true for you reminds me that it is true for me.

Thank you, Mr. Camping, for this reminder. God ALWAYS works things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. For that, I am so grateful.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

loved this post! Preach on! We often forget the grace of God regardless of what we do. I think is a good reminder for all. Great insight on the whole "Mr. Camping" thing, and so many applicable points mentioned to apply to any of our lives. Thank you for sharing. BTW, Tyler H. gave me your link, and I'm glad she did!

Thea said...

Thanks for your comment, Stacey :) Glad Tyler shared the link with you!! As you can see a lot of my blogging is related to family stuff but feel free to drop by any time!