I'm learning and growing as a wife and a mother and enjoying...well, mostly enjoying the process :).
I have been reflecting more and more on the process of raising children and what that means for them and for Eric & I. As a mother, it's so easy to get caught in a rut of "getting through"...sometimes it's just getting through lunch or the afternoon or a difficult naptime and other times it's "getting through" the day...or a particular season or situation.
I have felt a nudging in my heart and a good reminder to stop getting through anything...a reminder that my 'getting through' may cause me to miss the best of the moment. "Make the most of every opportunity" comes to mind - such a great scripture and so true. The days are evil...time keeps tickin'...my kids keep growing...and we have but one life.
Yesterday I saw this on someone's facebook status update and it fit in line perfectly with my introspection
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"
Good reminder, right? Looking at these photos makes me smile...there is something innately beautiful about a weathered face beaming with a smile.


The goal of life, or my experience here, or God's intent for me...isn't pleasure, relaxation or even my own happiness...but to know Him, to be sure those He has entrusted me with know him, and to love Him. I'm still learning what that means in so many ways.
For me, and in my home, that means training my children to live Godly lives that are successful by a Biblical scale and not a wall street scale....it means serving my husband when I'm frustrated at how he has done something or feel he has ignored me.
It means remembering that my sacrifices, however large or small, are seen by God and that is enough.
*sigh*
T




3 comments:
Love this...thanks for the reminder. :)
Well said, girlfriend! I have been feeling that "nudge" too. I have to really make an effort sometimes to put down the laptop, or dishes or laundry and just "give" to my girls for as long as they want it. It's so hard to not feel like we fail at something (if not MOST things) everyday, but God sees us where we are at. At least we are all in this together! Thanks for reminding us about the "small" things. :)
I have been reminding myself of this lately too :) Thanks for putting it down in print so neatly, really reaffirms my drive to just roll around on the carpet with my kiddos more and cherish this time! Enjoy your 3 little Smiths and try not to sweat the small stuff- oh and don't forget to treat yourself sometimes too! Being a mom is hard work and we all need a day off now and then :)
Post a Comment