Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Slowing down


Sometimes life gets busy and while you realize it's getting busy, the intense pace doesn't occur to you until you realize just how fast the days go by and how much is packed into them... "SSSSTOOOOPPP! I WANT TO GET OFF!" Remember getting on a ride as a child only to realize it was much faster, bigger and scarier than you had imagined? Sometimes life feels that way. We want to be grown up, bigger, get a license, be 21, get married, have kids....etc. etc. etc. only to realize how big, busy and fast life becomes.

I've felt like getting off the ride a few times lately :).

We're slowing down the pace of life in our house...no school for the summer...less TV and more conversation...fewer appointments and more family time at the park...more friends over for dinner and less facebook...more attention on relationships and community and less on getting 'stuff' done. It's nice. Except for the school part we may just have to keep this up!!

I hope you're all able to slow things down a bit too...it all goes by so quickly - no sense in letting it all fly by only to realize what you've missed.


T

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. My name is Sharon and I saw your comment about your dad on Zac Smith's blog. I just wanted to write to hopefully encourage you a little as you watch your dad go through chemo and in the days ahead. See, I, too, was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer 17 months ago (just before Zac). I'd just turned 50 when I was diagnosed. I had the surgery in February '09 to remove 18 inches of colon (God knew some of us were going to need a little "extra") and then began chemo in April '09. I went through 6 months of chemo (seems to be the "standard") only to find that there were a couple of new spots, but the ones that were there before were gone. So... back for 6 more months with 2 of the old drugs and 2 new ones. I am happy to say that I finished a year of chemo on June 11 and my follow-up scan showed no evidence of disease! Praise be to God! So, as I'm praising God for bringing me through my journey, I will be praying for your dad and your whole family as you travel the road I'm so familiar with. As Zac would say, "God is God and God is good. Praise be to God!"
My email is scarpenter58@cox.net if you ever want to ask me anything about my experience with cancer.