I Peter 1:22....
Thea
I have been pondering this verse for some time now...
About 3 or 4 months ago I came across this verse as I was nearing the end of my pregnancy and shared it with Eric but it has lingered in my heart and mind. About that time we were living in Virginia and had not found a church after living there somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 months. I was feeling relationally starved and heavy hearted about going through the process of welcoming our 3rd little one into the world without friends and family. Relationships have always been so very important to me but now, more than ever, I felt the need for them in a new way.
There have been times I've thought that perhaps I love my friends more than they loved me...I wondered if maybe I expected too much from friendships or if my view of what God designed them to look like was skewed. I prefer to have the same friends...for life. Even as an adult I really have to push myself to make new friends because I treasure the old ones so much. We all know the types of friends who are friends for life; you can not call, call, see one another, not see one another...and nothing changes. Still, does that just signify comfort or that you love one another with a deep brotherly love?
All of this had been stirring in my heart and I found my mind settled by this verse. This was what God had in mind...it wasn't a skewed view of what friendships should be. It's always nice to find out your perspective isn't totally nuts lol. :) Granted, there are different types of friendships and not all of them are "deep" but those that are should be treasured.
I regularly have a desire to care for those around me; bring meals, visits, Starbucks, time together, you name it!! Need a friend to help paint? Clean?? I'm there! I love the memories that are made by doing the day to day things of life with those we love....they are often the most precious. I don't think I'm alone in desiring deep friendships but finding them and investing in them can be such a challenge in our pace of life fraught with facebook, blogs ;) and other ways to keep up without really investing your heart.
So, I've settled in my heart not to worry about whether my friends find my care for them strange or unusual :). It IS unusual in this day and age to have a friend who "loves you deeply from the heart". I want to spend more time knowing them, serving them and appreciating them just on their own merit...for who God designed them to be.
I know when I am old...or dying...I won't regret having loved greatly and when I choose to love without reserve, without wondering whether I am loved in the same capacity, I feel my heart is full and I sense the pleasure of the Lord.
I hope you, too, can choose to love deeply and from the heart...it's worth the price paid!
As a sort of side-note, today I am celebrating the arrival of a precious friend's baby...Baylor Grey Jorgenson :). Brenna is his mommy and a wonderful mommy at that!! We have known eachother since we were 12. Summer camps, crushes, boyfriends, engagements, weddings, and now babies...wow. 17 years! I love Brenna and treasure her friendship; her family is so precious to me! So here's a shout out to you, Fra! :) You and your family and now sweet Baylor Grey are loved and celebrated today!!!
Thea




2 comments:
Aww, how am I just seeing this?! Thanks for the lovely shout-out, girl. What a journey of a friendship. I am so glad it's taken us both this far. I look forward to more memory makin' in the years ahead. :)
Girl I had better be writing these sorts of blogs with gray hairs on my head :)
I just saw that you just saw this :)
Shout out, Fra...shout out.
Post a Comment