I tend to be forgetful of little things when life is crazy busy. Granted, without school and other things that usually occupy my brain I've been feeling rather on top of my game. Clean underwear for the masses, breakfast on the table at a reasonable morning hour and beating my husband to make coffee. It's the little things :).
I lost a set of car / house / mailbox keys just about the time graduation rolled around in May followed by 2 trips to our house from a key service to unlock a door and then make a key for said door when we couldn't find the original. This bring us to today...a busy day of unpacking and the usual Smith family craziness. Seemed like an ideal day to not cook, clean up after or otherwise involve myself in the makings of dinner. Everybody likes Garbanzo so we were headed there. Kids dressed, mommy looking human and Daddy all pulled together and out the door. I walked outside to see E motion that I needed to grab the keys.
I went to the usual place and ...no keys. Checked the backup "sometimes they land there" spot and nada. In a house with boxes, toys, furniture, etc. everywhere it doesn't belong this is quite a conundrum. I searched...pulled out the trash and rebagged it piece, by soggy disgusting piece. Moved furniture, searched in boxes, threw things away, E moved the refrigerator, I searched toy boxes and offered big rewards to any little people who may have played with said keys. Finally we unloaded the car and ordered pizza as we have not made it to the grocery store in time. I agonized, wondered if I was losing my mind and chalked it up to stress...called a locksmith who quoted me a discounted $200 rate and mentioned the dealership was more like $600. I walked in the pouring rain to the mailbox to be sure I hadn't left them there, on top or maybe even in the mailbox.
Lame. We have 1 vehicle and so it's important to be able to drive it.
Dinner was over, kids were tired and I had walked into the garage to give it one final look JUST in case I had dropped them or set them down in a moment of "busy". My sweet husband appeared in the door with a look on his face I have seen before...pink cheeks and a sheepish grin. Hands in his pockets he said "Babe.....(eternal pause)....I am so so so sorry." as he pulled my keys out of his POCKET.
He laughed, I wanted to cry and we were both relieved. Olivia exclaimed it was a miracle because she had prayed that God would send us back our keys and they appeared in Daddy's pocket and so...we have had a miraculous day today at the Smith house. :). Miracles do happen!
In happier news, during all of my searching, I found a lip-gloss I haven't seen in a while.




1 comments:
Thea, you are a hoot! I love Olivia's faith....'and then it was in Daddy's pocket!'
I, too, have had issues with keys...and you are in a new house, new routines, etc. Enlist the kids to remind you to always put the keys in the 'place where they live' as soon as you come in the door. They are just that age that they will love to help Mommy!
Love to you, Thea! Suzanne
Post a Comment